Thursday, November 6, 2008

Wax Dipped Fall Leaves


The other day the boys (well mainly Cohen, cause Wyatt is to busy causing trouble) dipped leaves in scented soy candle wax. The great thing about soy is that it doesn't get hot enough to burn anyone, so kiddo's can help with this one. I have a thermometer to test the temp just to be sure and as always use caution when kids are involved and with hot wax, even soy. I put a couple in my car and one in the linen closet. Wow, I love them. They look pretty and my little van smelt like Pumpkin Spice all the way to work. Here are some pictures from our fun little project.

This is our deck covered in lovely leaves, so you can see we had plenty for our little project.



Here is my little boy dipping away. I used the same wax and same % of fragrance oil as I do when making candles.



And the final product, which looks just like the original leaf only a bit shinier. The wax should preserve the color of the leaf just the way it is. That is the cool part. The kids and I have saved pretty leaves before but they turn brown over time. This should keep them vivid and rich in fall color.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun project! My little one is too little but I want to do it myself!

Leah said...

brilliant! and good smelling to boot!

autumn said...

Thanks Ladies. I am thinking about asking Cohen's teacher if she wants me to do a little project with the kids. It would look so pretty hanging in there class window and smell better then gassy toddlers!

Kristin said...

Hi, this is my first time on your blog. Can I ask you where you get soy candles? I would love to try this project! I'll check back here in a day or so.