Friday, October 3, 2008

A Delicious Way To Surf the Web


OK, maybe not delicious, but intising at the least. A while back, probably a year or so ago a friend of mine (Sam Roderick, in case you need to know. You sure are noisy aren't you) Told me about a little thing called Blackle. Blackle was a search engine much like Google. OK, it was just like Google. The main difference is Blackle was a much more eco friendly way to surf the web. In January 2007 a blog post titled 'Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year' proposed the theory that a black version of the Google search engine would save a fair bit of energy due to the popularity of the search engine. The reason this search engine would save so much energy is due to the fact that a black computer screen uses much less energy or wattage then a white one. Sounds simple enough, right.
Well I have been doing my best to use Blackle whenever searching the world wide web, but not going to Google is a hard habit to break my friends. It made me think though, that if a black screen saves energy maybe I should change or set up my web pages in the same way. As you can see my blog is black. One of my myspace page is also black. For me it's not just about being green (although that is very important to me) but it also saves me $$$. And who doesn't want that.
So the next time you want to search something on the internet, try blackle. Book mark it, and delete Google. (I had to, or I would forget) The changes we make no matter how minor are so important. Just wanted to share in case you didn't know and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Click 4 Carbon said...

Hi,

The whole 'black' page thing isn't entirely true and really only works if you're using an old CRT monitor.

A better way of helping the environment and actually see how searching the internet can actually help is by using www.click4carbon.com.

Click4Carbon is an environmentally conscious search engine and online community. Profits from ALL advertising revenues are used to fund forestation projects worldwide.

Give it a go - review us - you've got nothing to lose!

autumn said...

Oh crap. I forgot to mention this only helps with CRT monitors. I'm sadly still "old school" and forget how many people have up graded. Thanks for the web site. I'll check it out. See how much one little conversation teaches people. (That was my corny thought for the day)